When one door closes…

This will be the last week of Treading Ground.

To say it’s been a while would be an understatement. While most of you have only been with me for the last year or so, I originally started this comic on Keenspace way back in 2003. It wasn’t until February of 2010 that I was able to give it the attention it deserved, though, and since then the comic has been going strong, gaining steam and attracting a readership that has been both numerous and vocal.

But this story was never intended to be something that would run forever. I’ve always had a beginning, middle and end in mind, and on Friday we’ll see that end come to fruition.

This story may be coming to a close, but that doesn’t mean I’m done making comics, or even that this is the last you’ll see of these characters. On Friday after the final Treading Ground comic, I’ll announce the first details about my next webcomic project, including where you can find it and when it will premiere. I’m working hard to get that project off the ground as soon as possible so no one is kept waiting too long!

I want to thank everyone who has been with me as we followed the lives of Nate, Rose, and the rest of the cast. There is much more to come, and I hope you’ll continue to join me for it.

Posted on July 4, 2011 at 12:49 am in Blog. Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment.

156 Responses

1. Mini0n says:

It’s a shame to see this ending, but if it is for the best, so be it.

Good luck on your next project! :)

• OneManicNinja says:

I’m sad that it’s over, but it was great while it lasted.

At least we can still follow you at @absurdhero on twitter to keep up with your goings on. right? RIGHT?!

Great job with this one; looking forward to your future projects!

• Dash Jovis says:

Aww, and I just found this one! Its been a great read, sincerely looking forward to your future projects.

2. Horatio says:

Goodnight sweet webcomic, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

3. Mravac Kid says:

It’s been a great ride, thank you for it. I can’t remember if I’ve been with it since the very beginning, but it’s been more than a few years for sure.
    I’ll be eagerly awaiting your next project, and I plan to follow that one from the beginning to the end. :)

4. Douglas says:

Nooooooo!!!!!!, now what will I do for my laughs? You will be sorely missed.

5. The Dane says:

So long, buddy. Hope your next webcomic will be up and above the level of TG.

6. Ric says:

Sorry to hear that, particularly since I only just discovered this a few months ago…

Anyway, it’s nice to see a webcomic where the discontinuation is actually planned (& where hopefully there is some closure), rather than some, where you never know whether there might be another update at some point, & where the storyline has been left hanging in the air.

Good to see that Rose & Nate managed to get together in the end though :)

Thanks for the comic!

7. Rukaru says:

I will look forward to your new project, keep up the awesome work!
    (If you could, please email me when your new project goes live! I’d greatly appreciate it!)

8. Colt says:

Nick,
    Just wanted to say that Treading Ground has been a delight, and along with many other, I will be sad to see it go. I am also looking forward to seeing what new wonders you have in store for us.
    I would ask that you find a way to ensure that the story of Treading Ground remains accessible, as it deserves to be found by many new readers.

I appreciate the fact that you had a story arc, and a definite finish to the story. There are a few comics I could mention that have gone on a little too long, and as a result have lost the zip that they started with. Yours has always sparkled.

Good luck with the future endeavour,
    Colt

9. Mike says:

It’s been a wild ride, looking forward to the new project
    o7

10. Steve says:

I must be a curse. Only started reading this last week, love it to bits and now this!!!

11. paxl says:

Thanks a whole bunch,

I know TG only since 1 year or also but it has been a fun ride !

Good luck on your new project and I’ll buy, for sure, the printed version when It’ll come out !

Cheers and THANKS,
    paxl

12. phagocytosis says:

Farewell, TG…

Nick! I’m waiting for your next project, good luck!

13. DrBear says:

Since I discovered TG, it’s been on my short list of bookmarked comics. Sorry to see it go but I will check out your next step.

14. Foxhack says:

What? I just started reading this comic two weeks ago! Augh! :(

Dammit, I was kinda hoping this would go on for longer. Why do I keep stumbling upon comics that are close to finishing… :(

15. moonglum01 says:

I really enjoyed your story. Thanks.

16. vDr43k4 says:

Make sure to make the ending really NSFW, dude… Great story…

Greetings from Mexico City…

17. guReMcO says:

I’ve been reading this for about 6 months now and I love it. It’s a shame it’s going to end but it’s probably for the best.

Thanks for the great comic and good luck on your next project.

Greetings from Holland.

18. Mel says:

Nick, I have to congratulate you on this webcomic, and I’m glad you’re choosing to end it now before it starts to get stale. I look forward to the ending and wish you all the best with your latest project, I will definitely be following that! I’ve always looked forward to a TG update, and you’ve never disappointed. :)

19. moxiepurple says:

I’ve really enjoyed this comic over the past year or so, and I was just wondering, “How is he going to wrap up this story in 2 more comics.” Then it hit me! I can’t wait for Friday, and the next project! Thank you!

20. Timitz says:

It was a great story with good characters. I’ll read the next thing you do for sure.

21. Mikestermike says:

Well, sh#t. Thanks for such an entertaining read!

22. Michael Eck says:

Will you be making a book that chronicles the full run of Treading Ground? That would make my year!

23. Zombie says:

Sad to see it end but I’m looking forward to your next project as well. Especially if some/all of these characters will make a return. Good luck!!

24. AB says:

Aww I love this Comic! I just hate to see it go… but I can’t wait for the next one. Good luck with everything!

25. John Madden says:

So, does this mean weekday updates for this weekend?

26. Redpossum says:

Obviously, this calls for a good conspiracy theory.

Hmmm, (looks in loony cupboard), let’s see…

1 cup of alien abduction flour, (with anal probing)
    1 cup of Illuminati nuts
    2 cups of New World Order meal
    3 tbsp of black helicopter oil
    2 tbsp JFK man-on-the-grassy-knoll extract, (with anal probing)
    1 tsp Rapture seed
    1 tsp Raptor oil
    1 splinter of the True Cross (optional)

Blend all ingredients in large mixing bowl, only until moist. Preheat Fires of Hell to 2K centigrade. Bake until the 12th Imam and Jesus have both returned, (they should arrive together, but may vary with altitude).

27. Chase says:

AHGAHD!
    IT’S DIGGER ALL OVER AGAIN!

28. Tssha says:

This was a great story and though it’s sad to see the end, at least it’s a planned ending. I can safely add this to my Completed Comics tab with pride.

I look forward to the final pages, I’m sure they’ll be excellent and wrap up the story nicely. Also, I just wanna say that I’ve enjoyed the ride and thank you for entertaining me. This is good stuff. Be proud of it.

29. Lasombra says:

Oh… I should have expected this, judging by how things were unfolding, but still, it is hard to believe that the comic is coming to its logical end. Anyway, I am looking forward to see your future project(s)!

30. Brendan T says:

I grew up with this webcomic. When I was like…15 or so and just starting to read webcomics in 2003 or 2004, this was one of the ones I started with. It’s been a long, on-again off-again ride (much like Nate and Rose *rimshot*) but I’ve always really enjoyed reading.

Thanks for a hell of a run. I look forward to seeing how it ends, and what comes next.

31. yo says:

I think you are seeing what you wanted instead of looking at what you have.

32. Count us among those who discovered your comic only within the past year. Yours is among only three web comics we follow on a regular basis and we have enjoyed your comic immensely. While we are sad to see TG come to an end, based on the quality of your art and writing, we will anxiously await your next project. Thanks for everything you do!

33. Steve says:

That’s the problem with these Stories-With-a-Goal. In this case, goal = Nate + Rose together. With these, it’s either…:

A) As long as the series is active, the goal will never be reached.

B) Series gets cancelled/interupted/abandoned before goal is achieved.

C) Goal is finally achieved, but then author gets case of “Ok, now what?”, since series lost it’s main reason to be.

D) Author wants to end series, so he does by finally giving us what he made us crave for years.

Sometimes, there are exceptions. In Dragonballs, Goku was able to reach his goals many times, for there was no real Status Quo. Ok, series had to end anyway, but still.

Thanks for those 10 weeks of fun. (Yep, discovered the comic in mid-april 2011) Thanks for the inspiration (I’m writing a webnovel, and one of the character has a little Rose in her) I’ll be looking for your next projects.

34. Minty says:

I first came across this comic about a year ago. Didn’t bother actually reading it until last February though. Still, once I really got into it I found myself enamored with the lives of Nate and company. I found myself looking forward to the colorful commenters and thinking of this site almost like some sort of digital clubhouse. I just want to say how much this comic and it’s characters meant to me as a person. I actually felt genuine concern for those involved. And the fact that they live in my state helps too. Anyway, thanks for the great read. I’ll definitely be reading your next project.

35. menotu says:

Sorry that it’s ending but looking forward to seeing what comes next. It’s been an interesting run and a lot of fun with the referrences.

36. benb says:

very sad to see it go :( i’ve been reading it since its inception and i really enjoyed it but hopefully its for the best. will you maintain the website so the comics are available? either way i cant wait to see what you plan to do next.

37. Pink Freud says:

(Someone has to start it)

38. Madness says:

Oh my god! I’ve only recently discovered this too, The fact that you’re going to be ending this so soon after I discovered it saddens me.

But, all good things must end, and it’s far better to end them on your own terms than continuing for the sake of others and have it fizzle out.

Best of luck, and I’ll see you on your next project!

39. Chad says:

Hmm…yeah, it’s hard for me to think of webcomics “finishing”; everything I’ve ever read was either already finished or is still going strong with no signs of ending, with maybe the occasional one that ended up dying out the undignified way. I haven’t been reading terribly long, but it’s been fun.

40. Lilith says:

I just found you and the comic is ending? I guess i shouldn’t complain about things I don’t pay for but yeah.

Good luck on your future endeavors!

41. crayon says:

I seriously only just found this comic last month… dangit

42. DiDi says:

Oh man… it’s over already? It feels like I just barely got into the story…

Well, I had fun! This just means one less webcomic I’ll have to worry about keeping up with.

43. caladors says:

I am glad that your finshing your comic. Works of any kind are always ment to be finshed leaving a work unfished reaks of two things one a blatent cash grap in the comics industry or the lack of the luster that orginally started the project.

I am afraid you won’t have everything wraps up though.
    Though it may have the orginal concept finshed there is alot more that you have unfinish and I am not sure a single comic will do it. Even though this is how life is one thing finshes wile many go on.

I feel I will be wondering about the other members of the cast. Though hinted at will Miranda find someone? Tracy never seemed to be that bitchy when she was orginally with Nate what happened? Aiyana I feel has been screwed by the story, while everyone else has reached out for even a touch of happiness she has remained untouched in both heart and body. Also Trevor’s last encounter raises more questions than it answers.

No asking for a pretty little bow would be nice but I would like to have an idea of what is happening with everything and unless it’s a big one I feel I will forever wonder at times.

44. OKhan says:

Knowing this comic had a planned end and feeling it wind down I kinda got the feeling that it was nearing the end but I never imaged it would end so soon…
    Anyways its been a nice run, look forward to your next comic.

45. Oberon says:

Nick, it’s been a great run. Thanks so much for all the enjoyment your comic has brought me. I’ll look forward to the start of your other projects!

46. iggzy says:

That Styx song Don’t Let It End is playing in my head as I really like the comic but I’m glad you get to end it when you want to and move on to something new. I can’t wait to see what it is

47. Galilab says:

Knowing when to end a good story is the sign of an author’s greatness…

Thanks for everything and good luck for the rest!

48. Anrasi says:

I am a sad panda for this. I only just found TG two weeks ago, and after reading through it, fell in metaphorical love. BUUUUT as long as I see Purvous somewhere again, I’ll live.

49. Shane says:

Very few comics actually get an ending. My first comic is still lacking an ending, and I’m sure Space will probably get screwed out of one as well, but congratulations on being able to move on to another project and not dragging it on too long like some other comics do (MegaTokyo comes to mind). Can’t wait to see what’s next!