When one door closes…

This will be the last week of Treading Ground.

To say it’s been a while would be an understatement. While most of you have only been with me for the last year or so, I originally started this comic on Keenspace way back in 2003. It wasn’t until February of 2010 that I was able to give it the attention it deserved, though, and since then the comic has been going strong, gaining steam and attracting a readership that has been both numerous and vocal.

But this story was never intended to be something that would run forever. I’ve always had a beginning, middle and end in mind, and on Friday we’ll see that end come to fruition.

This story may be coming to a close, but that doesn’t mean I’m done making comics, or even that this is the last you’ll see of these characters. On Friday after the final Treading Ground comic, I’ll announce the first details about my next webcomic project, including where you can find it and when it will premiere. I’m working hard to get that project off the ground as soon as possible so no one is kept waiting too long!

I want to thank everyone who has been with me as we followed the lives of Nate, Rose, and the rest of the cast. There is much more to come, and I hope you’ll continue to join me for it.

Posted on July 4, 2011 at 12:49 am in Blog. Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment.

156 Responses

1. Oarboar says:

I kind of sensed this was coming to an end. I’m looking forward to your next project, though!

2. daniel says:

:'(
    Sadness

3. Giby says:

Glad that you’re still going to be doing webcomics, but sad that this is coming to an end.

Keep pushing out quality work, Nick!

4. NeonGreen says:

Hey brochacho, it’s been a real pleasure.

5. Shay says:

WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! but ur awesome and I’ll so continue to follow. I’m excited for what comes next!! Keep being epix!

6. Eric says:

I’ve only found this recently, but I’ve loved all of it. I very much appreciate that you’ve given thought to an ending; too few artists show that much commitment when they themselves move on.

Thanks for the comics! I look forward to whatever comes next!

7. Is this comic still gonna be available for the world to see?

8. roshan says:

Any chance you’re going to come out with a printed collection of the series?

9. Kai Lynk says:

A good entertainer always leaves his audience wanting more.

Well done, sir.

10. Zulu says:

been a blast. can’t wait for your next project.

11. Kaz says:

I’m one of the more recent people to stumble onto your comic, and I really enjoy your style in regards to writing and drawing.

More than once I’ve been inspired to keep up my own drawing by reading your comics.

Can’t wait to see your next project!

12. Kyle says:

Really wish it wasnt’ coming to an end, but I am glad you will be doing new stuff too…just sucks to see this great comic end. Thanks for all the good reads and I look forward to seeing what’s next.

13. Mike "Looch" Leuchtmann says:

As a somewhat new fan of this webcomic, I can only say, respectfully of course, this fucking sucks. That said, I look forward to becoming a fan of your next projects. :)

14. Rob says:

Make a comic entirely centered around Purvous. He’s hilarious!

15. Follow-up question: will your new comic be NSFW like this one, or do you not even know yet at this point?

16. They Call Him Eric says:

Is it wrong for me to home for gratuitous nudity for the finale? At any rate congrats on finishing a story and can’t wait for the next.

17. Pufnstuff says:

Okay, this is the THIRD webcomic to go off-line within a year of me starting to read it.

I hate you guys. Seriously

18. Syaieya says:

Well though it’ll be missed it’s been a fun comic. I hope the next one you do will have a similar style and sense of humor. I still get a chuckle that when I first tripped upon here I was Rose’s age and now it’s coming to a close and I’m inching ever closer to Nate’s age…while currently on an extended stay in Kentucky. And now, hope that all works well for the plans to make a physical copy of the comic to distribute.

19. kraidridley says:

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

it was fun. :)

20. Batman says:

I expected this. Ya know why? Because Rose and Nate fixed the original problem in the series IN the next comic you should deffently have the cast make cameos in it

21. bwilliy says:

Noooooo…..I like this comic. D:

22. Yamil says:

I’m very sad to see this go, but at least it was fun. I can honestly say this is my favorite NSFW comic ever. Thanks for the laughs man.

23. Tripp says:

This comic was really a touch of reality of what it’s like working in a dysfunctional super market. Speaking of this from working at a Kroger’s here in the Shenandoah Valley over the years. All I can say is, I be sad as a chinese panda bear watching their cubs get slaughtered.

24. CK says:

While I wasn’t sure where else you would go with the comic after the last few strips, I was hoping you would find somewhere. Alas I’ll just have to miss reading 3 times a week.

It was one of my favorites, and thank you for your work on it.

25. Norbert says:

Well it’s been a good run and I’m glad that you’re doing more webcomics.
    I’m being completely honest right now. I came to this website for the NSFW, but I stayed for the characters and story.
    Oh and I’ve got a good feeling that Fat-Balls or whatever his name was (the blonde gamer that recently moved out ) is going to be an important part of your new comic

26. Avenger says:

Glad to have been aboard since the start. Can’t wait to see your future projects.

27. RotSman says:

Geez, I think I’ve been following this almost from the beginning! (I remember reading about two dozen strips at once to get caught up.) I too would enjoy a printed collection (POD?), and I have one request: in whatever comic you’re doing about ten years from now, I want to see a balding Nate and a somewhat disheveled Rose in the background with some kid hanging off her hip. ^_^

28. kiki says:

I’m always saddened when a comic I like comes to a close. I’m glad that you are starting a new one though, can’t wait to get on board ^^

29. Dr.wonderful says:

We had some fun right? Great one liners and epic laughs.

I guess that you going to create a universe now.

30. MadManMax says:

though i may have only found this comic twelve short weeks ago but it has been a good run and i am sad to see it go. though everything must end somethings are known to begin again.

31. Frenchie says:

Been reading for a couple months now and i just wanted to thank you for the wonderful adventure you have brought me on. Can’t wait for the next one

32. CKai Cydek says:

Man, at only 250+ strips, it’s like we hardly knew ye. Still, I look forward to whatever lies ahead. Kudos.

33. John Hans says:

I only discovered this web comic a couple of months ago but the first day I found the site, I read every single comic up til that day because of the well developed characters, the great funny story, and to see what will happen next. I’m always a little sad after every comic because I know ill have to wait a day or two til the next comic. I must say this is the best and most developed web comic Ive read. I rate it 10/10… Good luck in the next comic and I hope to see some of the old characters in the new one I would definitely buy a printed collection of the comics if you ever put one out, It has been a joy to read… and I will tell you this. Never Stop Writing…. we dont have enough good comic writers these days…. I know Ive been going on and on but Ill leave you with this..

“True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.” – Albert Einstein

34. codyblues says:

It is weird how you can get attached to people who don’t even exist or to a story. It felt almost like were just getting to know them.

I really enjoyed the story, and I can’t wait read the new one. Congrats!

35. Andre says:

I hope we dont get the “Rocks fall everyone dies” ending.

But i have enjoyed reading this comic

36. Diego says:

Its actually quiet sad to see this end. I have been following for about a year now, and I must say I had started to develop a liking for some of the characters, mainly Rose and Aya. I will miss them, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

37. fereality says:

Been a follower since nearly the begining, and I’m truly gonna miss these people. In the past year I’ve had four comics I followed end and at least one more ending shortly. I sincerely hope the new series takes off and maybe is a spin off of some type. Thank you for the enjoyment I’ve had in the last 8 or so years.

38. Juicesir says:

I’ve followed this for a long while and it’s been one of my favorites. On the one hand, I’m sad to see things end for this and not have this be in my webcomic lineup. There’s a lot more to this story I think, and I’ve enjoyed where it has gone and the sort of fun its had. On the other hand, I’m excited to see what your new project is and I’ll be waiting around for the print of this.

Thanks for the laughs, lewdness, and lovable characters. Keep on it and good luck!

39. Pinky says:

waaaaaah! *cries*
    I didn’t want it to eeeeend!!!

*sob*
    well, I’m glad to hear you’re talking about printing it.
    This is by far one of the best comics I’ve read!
    I look forward to seeing your next project.

40. Webcomicfan says:

Fuck you!

nah, really sucks, one of my favs. can’t wait to see your new stuff.

41. Cromell says:

I’m glad no one tried to pull “first” comment today.

It’s a real shame that this comic ends. I extremely enjoyed reading it for quite a while now. Anyway, I salute you. For creating something this amazingly fun.

I hope that your new project will be even better, and I honestly wish you that it will be even more successful.

42. Gavin says:

This is so sad…but I wish you the best of luck in whatever you get up to next. I’ll definitely be a supporter.

43. Boomer says:

i kinda saw it coming when they finally got together. but im glad you’re continuing with another webcomic! you’ve always got a bookmark tab in my heart :)

44. I think Purvous needs his own ongoing series!

45. Isis says:

Always leave your audience wanting more they say. It was a fantastic run. Thanks for the laughs, agonies, and laughs. I am one of your more recent, not so vocal but dedicated followers and I will anxiously look forward to your new project. Good luck man, and keep doing it!

46. John B. says:

All those FIRST posts killed it, didn’t it?

Bastards.

47. Mainlyabel says:

Well Nick, I’m a long time reader but this is the first post that I’ve felt compelled to make (I tend to like reading the other comments from everyone else….after reading the comic of course). Anyway, I just wanted to say that TG has been AWESOME! I don’t think that I have seen one of the strips yet that’s made me think ‘meh, sucks, won’t read anymore’ and of course I’ll be in the queue for the hardcopy when it becomes available. So, thanks man, for all the hard work that you’ve put in, for the time that you’ve spent, and for all the enjoyment that you have given all of us, and hopefully will continue to give us. Kudos, and ciao for now :-)

48. Mercredi says:

I feel so sad! This was a great comic. :)

49. Jim says:

After reading this post Nick … HOW can I put it to words ???.

Best described as the LOOK on Nates face, just after getting kicked in the sack by Tracy !!!

Did I get the point across? ——-

(Seriously, I DO understand your logic and ‘game plan’ – rather than “going stale” for a ‘period’, SWITCH OFF and start fresh. —- But guy, THIS is gonna be a TUFF “act” to follow!

I wish you the BEST at all times, my friend!

(And, now seeing Rose’s Mom might be available, send her over?)

50. Rock says:

It’s been fun. ^^ I’m glad this story has a happy ending – or at least it still looks that way.